There is often a lot of tractor work to be done on our dairy through spring. Silage to be harvested, pasture renovation work, summer crops to sow and all this tractor work is usually wrapped up with the end of the hay harvest which we usually do in the first few weeks of summer. Not that there ever is a typical season, this spring has proven to be a very unusual one for us and many others in our district. Within a month we have gone from being too wet to get machinery onto the paddocks to hay harvest done and dusted.This November we harvested the smallest silage crop we have done in 12 years. (With plenty of fodder reserves on hand and the silage/hay season looking very late we made the decision back in September not to chase fodder this year.) Two weeks after our silage was harvested the season had turned dry and we were able to get our hay in, all done by late November! It hasn’t been the best start for my first foray into chicory either. We were delayed sowing the crop by the very wet early spring, it’s up and looking good now though.
Follow Us on Instagram
- If your spending NYE near the coast, finish 2018 with a #2minutebeachcleanMorning snack time! . . . . #paddocktoplate #awesome_gippsland #farm365 #rural_love #aussiefarmers #aussieag #ruralaustralia #total_rural #legendairy #kuntrygram #rurallife #farmsnaps #farmlife #countrylife #farm #cows #vache #vacas #grasstomilk #gippsland #food #realfood
- Gee it's easy to get lost in this stuff! https://t.co/FlnSwNTKrc 1 month ago
- No need to dream of a green Christmas this year! https://t.co/69s6xNlmOH 2 months ago
- It may be slow but it is really satisfying watching these tree plantings grow and provide shade/shelter and build b… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 3 months ago
- Wise old Scottish Grandma used to say 'Mackerel sky, either very wet or very dry'. I've got my 🤞 for the very wet o… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 3 months ago
- I've been shopping around different forecast sites for this next rainfall event. I like the look of this forecast,… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 3 months ago