There is often a lot of tractor work to be done on our dairy through spring. Silage to be harvested, pasture renovation work, summer crops to sow and all this tractor work is usually wrapped up with the end of the hay harvest which we usually do in the first few weeks of summer. Not that there ever is a typical season, this spring has proven to be a very unusual one for us and many others in our district. Within a month we have gone from being too wet to get machinery onto the paddocks to hay harvest done and dusted.This November we harvested the smallest silage crop we have done in 12 years. (With plenty of fodder reserves on hand and the silage/hay season looking very late we made the decision back in September not to chase fodder this year.) Two weeks after our silage was harvested the season had turned dry and we were able to get our hay in, all done by late November! It hasn’t been the best start for my first foray into chicory either. We were delayed sowing the crop by the very wet early spring, it’s up and looking good now though.
Follow Us on Instagram
- This is a first. I've never made hay in March before. I don't recall ever having such a surplus of pasture in March.Summer hay crop blowing in the wind, I've never done hay in Feb before!🤷🏻♂️ Two cuts of silage and a grazing from this paddock since 18/10/19. I'm feeling good vibes from this pasture variety call Vibe.
- RT @Dairy_Australia: To keep people on farm safe and well, it’s important to follow the recommended COVID-19 hygiene procedures. Consider t… 1 day ago
- RT @gardinerdairy: Are you looking for ways you can contribute to the dairy industry and your local community? Our website is updated regul… 2 days ago
- Goldilocks zone weather for cows...not so ideal for making hay. If we don't get this baled now I think this grass i… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 2 months ago
- Scientific research has assisted Au farmers reduce methane emissions/Lt of milk by 40% in the last 30yrs.… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 7 months ago
- #ScienceWeek #ScienceinAg The science of producing healthy, safe, nutritious food. On farm culturing of samples ass… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 7 months ago