Our cows like the vast majority of dairy cows in Australia live in pasture 365 days of the year. Living in the pastures means most of the cows’ manure goes directly on the pasture, providing nutrients to grow more grass. Twice a day our milking herd is collected for milking and while waiting for their turn in the dairy, some manure is collected in the milking yard. The manure cleaned from the dairy is collected in a series of effluent ponds. The liquid from these ponds is applied to pasture acting as nutrient rich irrigation water. Once a year the sludge from the first pond is stirred up and pumped out onto paddocks with a ‘Muck Runner’. This black sludge is full of nutrients and great for fertilising the soil.
Follow Us on Instagram
- Some time rainbows just seem to have a little extra pop. . Sheltering from a gusty rain squall and only for a matter of seconds one of the brightest rainbows shone out. #rainbow #winter #gusty #pasture #paddocktoplateLooks like there's something brewing out to the west. I'll make sure the cows have a nice sheltered paddock tonight. . #winter #coldfront #weather #gippsland #paddocktoplate #pasture #aussieag #ausdairy #ruralaustralia #total_rural #legendairy #kuntrygram #rurallife #farmsnaps #farmlife #countrylife
- RT @Dairy_Australia: If you’re in a position to push pasture growth, nitrogen will probably stack up this year. Watch Matt Harms’ round up… 4 days ago
- Another soggy morning! I wish we could send some of this east or north.☔ https://t.co/iZXeS44YaD 4 days ago
- RT @OzFarmers: It’s #FarmSafetyWeek! Our 2018 theme is “Innovative, Safe and Healthy”. 👨🏻🌾 Here are some #farmfacts to kick off this all i… 1 month ago
- It's #FarmSafetyWeek this week. A good time to focus on making your farm, a safe farm. #ausdairy… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 month ago
- The sound of milk being made, with magpies on backing vocals. #Turnupthevolume #ausdairy #milk #paddocktoplate https://t.co/qVPI4DoCyU 1 month ago